[time-nuts] lightweight webserver for, e.g., NTP widget

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 12 14:00:01 UTC 2013

On 2/11/13 10:20 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM, David J Taylor
> <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Anything which works on the Raspberry Pi must be fairly lightweight!  <G>  I
>> don't think that basic Apache would be too much to manage, and many folk
>> have used it:
>
> I have to agree with the above.  Many people think Apache is a "heavy
> weight" process the requires server class hardware.  This is
> absolutely NOT the case.  Appache scales itself by using the "process
> per client" server model.  This means as the load on the system goes
> up Apache makes copies of itself that all run in parallel.  Yu is CAN
> make use of huge multi-core servers with gigabytes of RAM but it also
> scales down to small scale and is not a CPU hog and nearly
> "disappears" when it is idle.
>
> And as said, it is easy to configure because "everyone" who knows
> anything about the web knows Apache so help is easy to find

I think the complaint that people have about Apache is not the resource
requirements, but, rather, that the configuration is complex and has
many files in various places.  It may well be that the "default"
installation works fine (I'm sure it does), but sometimes, you can spend
a lot of time fiddling to get it right.