[time-nuts] Possibly off topic - Jitter on Ethernet over power adapters

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Wed Feb 13 00:12:43 UTC 2013

Thanks for the details, Mike.

I read TCP/IP as TCP over IP, because TCP can be used with any
data link layer that doesn't guarantee delivery.

OTOH, the first book I read about the Internet protocols was titled
"TCP/IP" so there is a tendency to lump then together. I've read that
the developers of IP were going to stop at the data link layer, and
then decided that it wasn't a good idea to let each user develop their
own scheme for verifying message delivery. TCP introduced ports so
that one IP address could have 64000 sub-addresses. UDP, while not
verified, does use ports.

Then there all of those other application layer protocols designed to
work with IP, such as ARP, DHCP, NTP, SNMP, and SNTP. Each has one or
more of the 256 ports reserved for use with IP by the designers. Mills
chose port 123, probably because it suited his sense of humor.

Bill Hawkins