[time-nuts] altinex switches

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Feb 22 06:15:09 UTC 2013

In general, no, they are not.  The connector pins for modern 75ohm
BNC's are exactly the same part as for modern 50 ohm BNC's.  The BNC
gets the higher impedance inside of the connection area by removing
most of the inner dielectric.

The real problem child, in general, is the female 75 ohm N connector,
vs the male 50 ohm N connector.  In this case, the connector has no
dielectric in the mating area, so in order to keep the impedance
constant, it has to have a smaller diameter center conductor on the
75 ohm variant.   If you attempt to mate a 50 ohm male N connector
with a 75 ohm female N connector, you will split out the female
center socket pin.

Legend has it that there were some variations of the 75 ohm BNC that
don't work with 50 ohm variety.... I can't speak to whether or not
that is true, only that in my 40 years in the business, I have never
seen one where there was a problem.

-Chuck Harris