[time-nuts] Logging the grid frequency....

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Sun Feb 24 16:41:16 UTC 2013

By their nature, these "distributed generation" devices operate in current
injection mode.  That is, they are synchronized to the line and inject enough
current at whatever voltage the line is at (subject to IEEE 1547 provisions,
e.g., -12% to +10% of nominal) to transfer the power they need to.  So yes, they
generate their power at the exact frequency the line is at.  They are all
four-quadrant devices and can also generate quadrature (imaginary) power as well
so can correct for power factor problems.  All the decent sized inverters I have
seen are tightly phase locked to the line.

Now here's a fun thing to think about:  due to safety concerns the power company
does not want any of these things to generate power if a line goes down.  They
call this a power island.  So every inverter must have detection for this
condition.  It's trivial to detect if the load on the island is different than
the inverter output - the voltage will immediately go out of bounds - but not so
easy to detect if the island load matches the inverter output.  so, what to do?
One thing manufacturers do is to wiggle the Q (imaginary power) output and see
if it shows up.  If they're connected to the grid, well, they're way too small
to move the overall power factor but if they're the only source, it shows right
up!  So many of these inverters are actually creating a small amount of phase
noise onto the mains.  In terms of powering things it is insignificant and of no
consequence, but when you get to time-nut accuracy and measurement capabilities,
I'd bet you can actually see such modulation!  If you are out on a long run from
the nearest substation it could even throw off your measurements as it will be
non-steady and depend on insolation or local wind conditions of the source inverter.

As for "huge profits," well, not in that industry.

Peter