[time-nuts] Advise on HP-5335a features

Gary Chatters gcarlistaa at garychatters.com
Thu Feb 28 02:13:16 UTC 2013

On 02/27/2013 01:09 PM, Paul Berger wrote:
> I am considering getting a counter with better resolution than my 5316A,
> and have been looking at 5335A, they seem to be quite capable and fit my
> budget, but I have some questions about options.

Have you considered the 5334A?  It has the same spec for resolution, 9
digits/sec, but does not come with the noisy fan that the 5335A has.  It
is also smaller: 2U vs 3U height.

The 5335A does have some advantages over the 5334A: Higher upper
frequency limit (200 MHz vs. 100MHz) and more statistics capabilities
(which I have not yet learned how to use).

They both have scale and offset capability.

> 1. How useful is the option 020 DC voltmeter?  Does it offer good
> resolution?

I have the option, but never even think of using it.  The common HP3478A
DMM is faster and has better resolution.  If I did not have a DMM, then
it could be useful.

> 2. Is the option 040 a desirable feature?  Will it improve the
> performance of the counter?  or would I be better off getting one with
> the OXCO feature?

I do not have GPIB capability, so can not say how useful 040 is.  The
channel C option (030) which extends the range to 1.3 GHz is useful if
you have any radios for bands above 2m.

Gary