[time-nuts] Logging the grid frequency....

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Thu Feb 28 17:24:56 UTC 2013

On 2/28/2013 11:37 AM, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:
> About the difficulty of measuring every cycle with a conventional
> counter... thanks for that info, seems that i?ll have to make my own
> measurement hardware. I liked the idea of a time stamping counter....
> it?s very doable in a FPGA:)

At work we have a similar issue, where we need to measure the
frequency of every cycle of a pulse train running from a few Khz to
100Khz. We built a dedicated data acquisition system that will do just
this. It will actually measure 8 independent frequency chains and ship
the data via USB to a PC. This is referred to a 200Mhz clock (~5nS
resolution). It took took a while to finish to the thing, but managed
to pack it into an CPLD clocked at 200Mhz. It also has 6 CH of analog
input +/- 10V at 14bit resolution at up to 125Khz sample rate, just
for extra stuff one might want to add in...

Something like this is probably overkill for your application, but is
possible to pack it all into one chip. If you were doing one channel,
it'd be pretty simple to do.

Dan