[time-nuts] FE5682A inside pics

Fabio Eboli FabioEb at quipo.it
Tue Jan 1 09:47:01 UTC 2013

I reassembled the failed unit and booted it up.
The internal working voltage is 15.3V,
the unis seem similar to 5680A, and has
even the footprints for a DB9 connector
in the same position of the 5680A.
I will try to spot if it carries the same
signals than that unit.
As I was expecting the failed FE-5682A
wasnt working, but fortunately the problem
was that it was unable to lock: the 10MHz
output wasnt crossing the 10MHz boundary,
but was low.
I had read from John Beale that a FE5680
with the same problem was healed touching
the C217 trimmer:
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109928236040342205185/albums/5680473650837554113/5680683008490223330>

So i tried to spot something similar in
the FE5682, and the right candidate was
C245 here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14336723@N08/8331581900/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14336723@N08/8331582154/
After retouching it, the FE5682A passed
again the 10MHz limit, and after few minutes
locked on the right freq.

It has c-field adjust both with a trimmer
accessible from an hole on the side, and
to the connector, and both work.
My counter is busy logging, so I cannot measure
the regulation range of the EFC, but if it
follows the LPRO-101 probably it will have
the same 0-5V range.

After a night powered up, the unit seem stable
against one of the 5680, I have it sitting
on an thin (1mm)  aluminium plate and it
is using 820mA at 20V.

The diagnostic voltages are:
Pin 5 lamp voltage that reads 3.4V
Pin 9 crystal Vmonitor 5.7V