[time-nuts] An embedded NTP server

M. Simon msimon6808 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 22:47:41 UTC 2013

The design I'm working on brings out the UART pins to a header. I am designing adapter boards for RS-232 (using a MAX232 type equivalent) or USB using the FT232RL chip for the USB interface. There will also be an I2C interface for a display (16X2 to start with) or what have you. (more serial ports is one option)

The code base is not going to be critical because I'm using Forth rather than C. I am no fan of C. And neither is my software guy who at one time managed 5,000 AT&T programmers. The Forth is going to be pretty primitive to start with (assembler macros). But we may turn it into a full blown Forth as time goes on. When the first round is done and working we will publish a complete design (schematics and code - with bare boards available at a nominal cost).

I like the LPC111x series because of its very low cost. I do have plans to move up to some of the higher series chips once this design is done - if I can figure out how to solder chips by hand that have pins on .5mm ctrs. Currently I can solder chips with .65 mm lead spacing without too much trouble.

Simon

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.