[time-nuts] An embedded NTP server

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 19:25:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> I've given up on PIC and Atmel microcontrollers and their antiquated
> CPU designs.
>
> My life is too short to fight odd-ball compilers, when I can get a
> real 32 bit CPU and a good compiler instead.

That is a valid point if you are building a one-off project.  Your
time is worth something.  But if you plan to sell a million AA cell
battery chargers using a 32-bit controller is uneconomical.   These
will always be a bigger market for 8-bit chips then for 32-bit chips.

For an NTP server I'd go with something that can run an OS and the NTP
reverence implementation.  ARM (and others) can do that.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California