[time-nuts] 10 MHz -> 16 MHz clock multiplier

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Thu Jan 3 18:13:24 UTC 2013

     One way is to divide by  10 and then multiply by 16.
Divide by 10 and then follow by 4 tuned frequency doublers.
This should introduce little phase noise.
     Another way to do it is to divide by 10, then pass the output thru a
narrow 16 MHz filter and amplify. Sounds difficult but the filter can be one
or two 16 MHz crystals followed by a simple amplifier. Look at the
reference input circuit for a PTS-160.  The output of the divide by 10 needs to
be asymmetrical so it produces even harmonics. If you are using a
divide divide by 5&2 such as a 74HC90, divide by 2 first then by 5.
  Ideally the pulse width should be a half period of 16 MHz for the maximum
harmonic content at 16 MHz.
     You can take the output of the frequency divider and send it to a NAND
gate.
One input of the gate is directly connected and the other is delayed. You can
use an RC with a variable capacitor to ground to get it just right.
     Just adjust the capacitor to get the maximum output from your
filter amplifier.
73
Bill wa4lav