[time-nuts] suggestions for free samples from AD

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Sun Jan 6 02:45:30 UTC 2013

If the manufacturer sells the part directly, I just buy it. I did that
with the MSP430 as someone on the list suggested. But if they only sell
by the reel, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for a freebie. Case in
point are ceramic filters. They are dirt cheap, but nobody wants to
stock them since there are few customers for them. That is, the volume
of the product is high, but not many companies buy them. I did some
radio mods and Murata was nice enough to sample me a few filters.

Note with some chips, it is often better to look for eval boards made by
hobby companies like Sparkfun. I did that with an ADI accelerometer.