[time-nuts] single board PCs

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 7 00:25:59 UTC 2013

Consulting the hive mind..
If you're building a standalone widget (e.g. something like an NTP
server we've been discussing,  etc.)  with an embedded PC, don't want to
fool with hardware designing, etc.; use off the shelf OSes (win and
Linux) and software (Matlab, Labview); have solid state boot/storage
media.. No user interface needed (access is solely via network)...

What's the hot ticket these days..
One of the CarPC things (most are a miniITX/miniATX with a USB or SD
"disk drive"). (This is what I used last time)

Raspberry Pi is a possibility, but I don't know that it has the oomph to
run things like Matlab: and I suspect it doesn't run Windows....

I'd like something I can just order and give to the software guys to
start coding on (they're using Matlab, Labview, and Python, in various
combinations).  Eventually, it will  be packaged "inside the box" which
is about 10x10x3" along with the GPS receiver and other measuremnet
stuff (an FPGA with counters and the like). The FPGA will use USB for an
interface (I think..)..