[time-nuts] single board PCs

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 7 14:11:00 UTC 2013

Take a look at the COM Express standard, designed for embedded x86 computing:

http://www.picmg.org/v2internal/specifications2.cfm?thetype=One&thebusid=3

Additionally there is a huge amount of design support literature from Intel,
Adlink, Ampro, Congatec, Kontron, Radisys, etc. COM Express boards are complete
single board computers, but use high-density connectors to a carrier board for
I/O. This allows optimizing the I/O and storage mix / connectorization to suit
the application at hand. Off the shelf carrier boards are also available to
minimize design efforts. Required COM Express power is typically 12V, but
expect 3.3V and maybe 5V for peripherals (those supplies are often built into
the carrier). A wide variety of X86 family CPU boards are available, and many
are low enough power so as to not need a fan. Paired with a flash-based SATA
drive you get a real rugged PC that potentially can reside in a sealed box.

FWIW my employer has used thousands of these for an in-vehicle Windows platform,
where it sits subservient to a much more reliable Linux OS running on a non-X86
processor. We take responsibility for our code on the Linux CPU, and let the
customer run their own code as they choose on the Windows PC. Works for us.

Bob LaJeunesse