[time-nuts] Interval Timer Recommendation

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Wed Jan 9 04:39:20 UTC 2013

In the past there has been much discussion on this list regarding the
relative strengths and weaknesses of the 5370 (20ps resolution) and the
5371/5372 (150ps resolution) units.  There are other units that have
even better resolution, but they tend to be pricey and/or more specialized.

Moving down another step in resolution, the Racal-Dana 1991 and 1992 (1
ns resolution) counters also have their fans (like me), but they do have
problems with their front panel buttons (actually the switches under the
buttons).

Yes, the prices on ebay are becoming increasingly ridiculous.
Occasionally a seller will have an attack of sanity and post a
reasonable price.  You may also get lucky with a unit that is defective,
or advertised as such, but has either no fault or a repairable one.

More info on all of these topics is available by using Google with the
site:www.febo.com advanced search term.

Ed