[time-nuts] Interval Timer Recommendation

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 10 03:39:20 UTC 2013

On 01/10/2013 12:02 AM, Rex wrote:
> On 1/9/2013 12:48 PM, Azelio Boriani wrote:
>> and don't forget the PM6681 (50pS)
>
> The PM6681 was sold by Fluke/Philips. The same counter is also
> occasionally seen as the Pendulum CNT-81. Additional good features:
> small, light, and quiet.

A bit more history then.

Philips had a sub-sidary called Philips Industrier Järfälla, located
just outside Stockholm. They made amongst other things OCXOs and
counters, but a numerous of other measuring gadgets. As Philips merged
with Fluke for instruments, the Philips Industrier measurments gear also
re-occured in their Fluke variant for the US market. They kept their
PMxxxx model numbers. As Philips was retracting from the market, they
sold of the T&F reminder of Philips Industrier and that was named
Pendulum, which kept the connection with Fluke. This meant that the new
counters coming out also came out in their Fluke variants. However,
pendulum decided to strike out the PM66 prefix (for counters) for their
Pendulum branded gear and had different prefixes such as
CNT-80/81/85/90/90XL/91, GPS-12/88/89 and WM-10/11. Pendulum was sold
off to SpectraCom, and it was run as a separate business for some time,
but eventually the old company was dismantled and Pendulum remains as a
brand within SpectraCom. The product range exists, except for the CNT-8x
series which died off then the last of the custom counter chips ran out,
besides what was kept for service of course. The CNT-9x series uses a
FPGA as counter core. Today only a few of the original staff remains
with SpectraCom. The CNT-90 has also appeared in Tektronix format.

I had some exchange with them as they where local to me.

Cheers,
Magnus