[time-nuts] Phase Detector was --> Simple method for comparing 10 MHz signals

M. Simon msimon6808 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 07:53:35 UTC 2013

There is another way.

Take your reference signal and divide it by convenient steps. Apply the ref and the divided ref to the input pins of a very fast 574. Use a high output current 245 (24 or 32 ma drive) with resistor inputs (to decouple from the 574) to drive an LED bar (or RC integrator). The 574 will run faster if the loading is light and resistive.

Clock the 574 with the signal whose phase you are trying to measure. Or a divided down version of the same.

The two signals should be integral multiples of each other. That includes the divided down versions.

You can now tell if your test signal is "skipping phases" of your ref.

Example: 10 MHz   1 MHz  100KHz into the 574. Clock it with 32Hz from your 32,768 Hz clock osc. Adjust your 32768 until the 10MHz LED rarely blinks. Your 32768 is now better than 1E-7 if your 10MHz is on the button. At 20 ppm (the typical limit of 32768 oscillators)  the 100KHz LED blinks twice a second.

Using an XOR requires you to have square waves. The above only requires edge alignment (it is in effect a type 2 phase detector). And you are not limited to signals whose frequencies are nearly equal. They need only be roughly phase coherent.

Simon

Message: 6