[time-nuts] GPS Patch Antenna Electrode Tarnish

KD0GLS kd0gls at mninter.net
Thu Jan 10 20:33:24 UTC 2013

Dear Nuts,

Does the buildup of tarnish on the exposed silver electrode of a typical GPS ceramic patch antenna have any degrading effect on signal reception?  A little Tarn-X easily removes it, but I wonder if it's worth bothering, as it always comes back weeks or months later.  I've seen it mentioned in various data sheets that tarnish will of course affect solderability, but no mention of signal loss.

Thanks in advance.

73,
Brent, KD0GLS, Minneapolis