[time-nuts] OT - USB to LPT Adapter - Does it exist ?

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 11 23:07:56 UTC 2013

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:42:42 -0800
> From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard at karlquist.com>
> To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
>     <time-nuts at febo.com>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] OT - USB to LPT Adapter - Does it
> exist?
>
> Mark Spencer wrote:
> > Joe:
> >
> > I've been down this road and ended up buying two "lease
> return" HP
> > desktops for a nominal price that included on board
> parallel ports to deal
> > with some amateur radio gear required a real parallel
> port.
> >
> > As others have mentioned there are fairly recent IBM /
> Lenovo laptops that
> > also featured parallel ports (or at least their docking
> stations did.)
> >
> > Regards
> > Mark Spencer
>
> I have an HP laptop with docking station and the docking
> station
> provides serial and parallel ports.  The question
> is:  are these
> "real" ports (just like built ins) or do they behave as USB
> dongle
> versions?  One could easily imagine that the docking
> station did
> nothing more sophisticated that emulating a USB dongle, but
> then again,
> it does access the docking connector so there is some hope
> it connects
> directly to the bus.
>
> Rick Karlquist N6RK

In my experience with my older Toshiba Portege Laptop the parallel port provided by the OEM dongle is equivalent to the parallel port provided by a typical PC.

At work (I work in corporate IT) we lend out older laptops from time to time to individuals who want a machine with a real parallel or serial port for a specific task. I recall us providing IBM / Lenovo laptops and docking stations for this task and don't recall ever having a un happy customer.

Your mileage may vary (:

Regards
Mark Spencer