[time-nuts] Interval Timer Recommendation

Chris Howard chris at elfpen.com
Sat Jan 12 18:03:00 UTC 2013

On 1/12/2013 7:40 AM, Magnus Danielson wrote:

> At 250 ps you use interpolators. The typical coarse counter would be 100 MHz and that means 10 ns in raw resolution, but you would then use an interpolator to get higher resolution. By getting a start and stop measure, roughly tau time inbetween each other you get
> f = (t_stop - t_start)/tau
> assuming t_start and t_stop trigger from the same source.

This may not be of interest, and if so, I'll drop it.
But I was thinking that if they go to some kind of
fallback interpolation the time interval measurements
at a more-or-less fixed frequency might still be
pretty good.

(I think along these lines because maybe someday
a battery-bad unit might show up which is not so good
at umpty-GHz measurements but still OK for TIC)

If it had a systematic error at 10MHz it seems
like maybe that would just fall out in the wash. (?)

Chris