[time-nuts] 1970's flashback

Dave Brown tractorb at ihug.co.nz
Sun Jan 13 11:27:43 UTC 2013

Thanks for these, Joe.
 The photo with the sign 'set your watch' is especially interesting for me
as it shows a pair of old clock displays the same as one I have here.  These
are the two  digital displays that are showing the same digits. There's part
of a third one the same on the extreme left but the display on that one is
not visible in the photo.  My clock has a different mechanical dial on the
ten turn pot at the extreme right of the front panel- otherwise the unit I
have here  looks identical to those in the photograph.
 I have never been able to track down any info on this unit. Mine came from
a US military installation here in NZ (Black Birch) that has long since been
shut down. It's certainly old technology- RCA 'numitron' displays and mostly
TTL circuitry. I've had it running here continuously now for about six years
driven from an HP 5245M timebase - the clock has never missed a beat.
(recent quakes excepted )  Also. one of the newspaper cuttings in that
collection you posted mentions the flying clock being down here in NZ to
visit Mount John, a magnificent observatory site in South Canterbury.  These
days it's a well known astronomical observatory run as part of Canterbury
University Physics Department.
Dave Brown
Christchurch, NZ