[time-nuts] Used Spectracom

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Wed Jan 16 20:11:15 UTC 2013

Joe wrote:

>If [Spectracom WWVB receivers] were dirt cheap, I'd probably pick
>one up. If you could wire in an external standard, it would still be
>useful for the phase comparator.

That's what I did with my 8163.  You need to add a Wenzel-style
two-PNP squarer and use the squarer output to replace the internal 10
MHz VCO output (point "BB" on the 8163 schematic).  Removing the RF
Amplifier PC card made plenty of room for the added board.  The
existing two-PNP squarer on the Local input is marginal, so I
modified it to conform to the one I added.  I disabled the VCO and
the phase comparator that drives it by removing appropriate power
supply feeds, and used the 60 kHz antenna connector for the 10 MHz
reference input.  Extremely simple, and it works perfectly.

Best regards,

Charles