[time-nuts] More GPS troubles

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Jan 17 15:59:30 UTC 2013

Hi

A lot of gear has holdover in the 8 to 24 hour range. If the attack "broke"
the receivers (as in some sort of NV storage corruption), you would need to
drive out and replace the gizmos in that time frame. Inventory and tech
manpower likely is set up for lightning events (a dozen maybe) rather than a
"whole city is down" sort of thing.

On the stuff I'm familiar with, there is indeed a "cycle back to the mother
ship" sort of fix for major issues. Been there, done that. It is very much a
pain, and that's why field firmware upgrades are a popular feature even in
embedded devices.

Bob