[time-nuts] How far can I push a crystal?

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Jan 18 00:37:05 UTC 2013

Hi

You can always use a crystal as a capacitor in just about any oscillator circuit. The question becomes at what point does it stop doing anything other than behave like a capacitor.

The accurate way to figure this out is to know the motional capacitance of the crystal. From that and the C0 you can do some modeling and see what you get.

More simple answer - anything past about 0.1% is a bit silly even with an easy to pull crystal. If you have very modest goals, 0.3 or 0.4% is possible. If your goals are modest, a VCO might also do just as well.

Bob