[time-nuts] How far can I push a crystal?

Ed Breya eb at telight.com
Fri Jan 18 01:43:16 UTC 2013

Maybe I should clarify what I meant by pushing the crystal frequency. I
meant only using various topologies and electronic components in the
associated circuitry, that would detune it from its natural resonance
far enough to reach the new frequency, and still have it be sort of a
narrow-bandwidth crystal oscillator - not doing any mechanical changes
to the crystal element itself.

Since the ceramic resonators seem to work well, and can be pushed (or
pulled?) fairly far away by proper selection of the associated component
values, I was wondering how far quartz crystals can reasonably go. I
encounter this situation often - needing an oddball frequency, but
preferring to use common or standard parts. The nominal choices in
ceramic are quite limited, while in crystals, there are many more - but
few ever seem to land at or near enough to a frequency I need.

The only thing I have thought of so far is to maybe add some series R to
drop the crystal Q, so broadening the resonance, and just dragging it up
by extra series C, but at some point there's no point to even having the
crystal there at all. I'm just trying to figure out what's possible and
reasonable.

I know that I can get any custom frequency by spending enough money, but
that takes the challenge and fun out it sometimes.

Ed