[time-nuts] How far can I push a crystal?

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 18 15:05:25 UTC 2013

Ed,

Please forgive me for commenting, but I can't seem to follow your math. I
suspect there may be additional details you have not related, no big deal there.
It doesn't help that I'm not familiar with the 8566B, and the manual I grabbed
from Didier's site doesn't give me numbers that match up with yours, so I'll
just present my understanding based on your supplied numbers.

To look at what you were doing more concisely I did a quick spreadsheet, and
came up with this:
 10  MHz
div by 100
 0.1  MHz
mult by 107
 10.7  MHz
div by 180
 0.0594444  MHz
mult by 169.224299
 10.0594444  MHz
mult by 120
 1207.13333  MHz
mult by 3
 3621.40000  MHz

So I'm not sure how you get from 59.4444KHz to 10.0594444MHz by a PLL unless you
have a really good fractional scheme to do the 169.224299 multiplication. (The
fractional part .224299 ~= 64082 / 258699 so it is a bit ugly to do.) Or are you
mixing the 59.4444KHz with 10MHz and using the sum only? I'd think that would be
difficult given that the difference frequency is not that far from the desired
output.

Being the "nut" that I am I looked at some other ways to get from here to there,
ending up with a simpler multiply-divide scheme like this:
 10 MHz
div by 300
 0.033333333 MHz
mult by 953
 31.76666667 MHz
mult by 38
 1207.133333 MHz
mult by 3
 3621.400000 MHz
Unfortunately the intermediate 31.76666MHz is not commonly available in a
crystal or VCXO, and too far to pull a 32MHz part, so a custom crystal would be
needed.

respectfully,

Bob LaJeunesse

p.s. Should you find it useful I've attached the spreadsheet I used.