[time-nuts] How far can I push a crystal?

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 18 19:32:46 UTC 2013

Ed,

A DUH! (i.e. "why didn't I see it") moment. I'm too used to thinking with an
analog RF hat when I follow Time Nuts. The DFF mix-down makes perfect sense, and
clarifies to me some key points of your design. I would hope that for the
down-mixer you are using two DFFs cascaded with the same clock to both. This
guarantees that any metastability in the first will likely settle out before the
second one gets clocked on the next cycle. Otherwise there may be some
undesirable noise injected into / through the 4046 phase comparator.

Since you intend to use gates for oscillators be extra careful about using only
one oscillator per chip, with the chip supply well isolated and bypassed
tightly. Since logic parts are not designed for "time nut" supply noise immunity
they can talk to each other quite well via their power and ground pins. Adding a
small (33 Ohm or so) series resistor at any output driving a longer trace also
helps reduce noisy fast edges and supply noise spikes.

Good luck with the project.

Bob L.