[time-nuts] How far can I push a crystal?

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Jan 19 00:28:15 UTC 2013

HI

Different Bob, but here's the flip flop answer....

On Jan 18, 2013, at 5:11 PM, Ed Breya <eb at telight.com> wrote:

> Bob, please tell me more about cascading the DFFs. I was only using one half of the '74, with the other inactive, so both are available for the task. From your description it sounds like I just run the Q from the first DFF to the D of the second, clock them together from the 1 or 10 MHz, and take the cleaned up difference signal from the Q of the second. So, I think what it means is that the same information should pass through, just delayed by one sampling clock cycle, and scrubbed of any edge uncertainty of an analog nature, that would otherwise be passed to the phase detector. Right? I would definitely do this if no additional logic packages are required.

The gotcha with any flip flop is that it can get confused if you hit it just wrong. Exactly what constitutes wrong varies a bit depending on what kind of flip flop it is. In the case of a D flip flop with an edge sensitive clock, wrong is the data and clock changing at just about the same time. There is a possibility that the flip flop goes into oscillation rather than latching to either a 1 or a 0 state. If there's enough gain, it can keep on going until the next clock edge comes along. Obviously, this isn't what you want it to do. By cascading flip flops, you have much less chance of things hitting the final flip flop and creating an oscillator.

Bob