[time-nuts] "Better" gps antennas than a Symmetricom 58532A

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 23 14:07:49 UTC 2013

On 1/23/13 12:41 AM, Hal Murray wrote:

> mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca said:
>> This URL goes into some of the issues involved in using 75 ohm coax in a gps
>> system.  I do acknowledge that several GPS manufacturers have promoted the
>> use of 75 ohm coax so some of the conclusions might be arguable..
>
> If the coax is short, the loss due to mismatch dominates.  If the coax is
> long, the attenuation per X meters will dominate.

And it's not clear that there's actually "loss" due to mismatch.  Most
antennas/preamps/receivers don't have exactly 50 ohm impedances.  75/50
is only 1.5:1, and there's an awful lot of antennas and receivers out
there that only claim 2:1 VSWR.  The usual spec for the antenna is
1.5:1, so for all you know the Antenna and Receiver is already 75 ohms,
and RG6 will give you a better match than 50 ohm LMR400.

probably a bigger issue *might* be that reflections will create
synthetic multipath from the signal reflecting back and forth in the cable.