[time-nuts] Least costly 10 MHz reference solution

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 19:48:29 UTC 2013

>>.... My requirement/desire is to have a 10 MHz
>> standard for my lab that I can trust to an accuracy of 7 decimal places

At 10,000,000 Hz your required accuracy is 1Hz.  You can get to that
level by "zero beating" to WWV.  This is very inexpensive, free if you
already have a radio.  What you do is adjust the frequency of any
local oscillator until the beat frequency with WWV is greater then one
Hz.  You can either listen or use a scope

Most people here are wanting 10 to 13 digits and that requires more
work but 7 digitas is "way easy".  That said you might just as well
get the GPS which gives about 13 digits over a longish measurement
period.  But if you are looking for the lowest cost way to get to 1Hz
the old methods will do that.
In fact you can zero-beat any radio station that has a known
frequency.  All comercial braodcast stations are good enough but WWV
just happens to use a "round number" carrier freq.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California