[time-nuts] Is there any way to use a TIC to measure time of reflection on a PCB?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 24 00:51:14 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 07:03 PM, David Kirkby wrote:
> On 23 January 2013 15:22, Jim Lux<jimlux at earthlink.net>  wrote:
>> On 1/23/13 6:48 AM, David Kirkby wrote:>>
>>> A student needs to find the open-circuit fringing capacitance of a
>>> piece of microstrip line. For this he needs to know the time between
>>> the reference plane of the SMA connector and the open circuit
>>> microstrip.
>>

>> Can he build multiple microstrips with known distances, and measure them all
>> and solve for it that way?
>
> I'm not sure how that would help. The basic problem is that there is
> some discontinuity of impedance between the microstrip and SMA
> connector. The open reflects 99% of the incident power, and that
> discontinuity then causes the power to go back to the open. So it
> seems to me one needs some form of time-gating. Also there's the issue
> of how reproducible it would be to solder SMA connectors to a board.
>
>>> An obvious way to do this is with a vector network analyzer with a
>>> time-domain option. In HP/Agilent VNAs, this is option 010. The
>>> student has access to an obsolete and unsuported HP 8753C 6 GHz VNA,
>>> but it does not have the time-domain option.
>>

>> Does it have the "measurement plane offset" option?
>
> Yes - it is called "port extensions" in HP language.
>> I'm not in front of my
>> old analyzer in the lab (8720C.. no disk drive), and it does have the
>> transform option, but I'm not sure you need that option to have the "dial
>> an offset" in the calibration.  I've used that to move the reference plane
>> from the connectors at the edge of a board to the device on the board:
>> testing a vector modulator with the display in polar coordinate mode, for
>> instance.. you keep turning the knob til the display is a dot, not a circle
>
> That is not really the right way to do it, since there will be some
> fringing capacitance. You have not removed that - just appeared to
> have done, but have faked that by setting the offset delay. You have
> chosen an offset delay of less than the true value.
>
> But to a first degree, delay in the transmission line and delay caused
> by the capacitance are similar. See: "
>

>> What measurement uncertainty is called for here?
>
> It's an undergraduate project. I don't suppose he has been given such data.
>
>> Can you make your own
>> limited purpose cal kit? The open is the challenge.  Shorts, loads, and
>> thrus are fairly straightforward.
>
> The idea of his project is to characterise devices - I'm guessing
> surface mount. For this he needs a calibrated microstrip line. So the
> whole point is to characterise this.
>
> As you say, the open is the challenge. Knowing what the length to the
> open is, you an dial that into a VNA as a port extension, then read
> off the capacitance of the open since you have moved the reference
> plane to there. However, if you chose a different value of port
> extension, you will read a different value of capacitance.
>
> Also the fringing capacitance is frequency dependant - it is not a
> [...]

It will be very hard for a TIC to help you, you need pretty good pulser,
delay generator and level measurement, and that's about all that builds
up a TDR. Essentially a high speed sampling scope and a good pulser
would do it, but good enough pulser might be where you fail.

I have not been satisfied with the resolution of the TDR option on VNAs
compared to real TDRs like the one I have. Also, the assumption of
cyclic signal of DFT isn't really applicable to the real world situation.

I would strongly suggest that he finds himself a TDR. I would offer to
measure it if I was sure I had a quick path to dumping the data, which I
currently do not have.

Cheers,
Magnus