[time-nuts] "Better" gps antennas than a Symmetricom 58532A

John Lofgren jlofgren at lsr.com
Thu Jan 24 14:52:27 UTC 2013

>Should I make it a habbit of TDRing my GPS antennas, receivers and
>splitters?
>
>Cheers,
>Magnus

I think that question ties into some of the other responses to the original post.  The value of doing the TDR measurement would probably depend on your cable lengths and how likely you think it is that a connector mismatch would cause cable reflections that might smear the GPS signals.

Since you're fortunate enough to have a TDR, it might be interesting to do it just to see how much mismatch there really is.  If the resolution of the measurement is good enough you should be able to see all of the connectors.  If nothing else, it might tell you if you have a bad cable end or a loose connection.

Maybe the Italian guys should have run an optical TDR on their timing setup before doing the neutrino measurements :)

-John