[time-nuts] Serial port / Mouse issue (was mentioned in"Thunderbolt Monitor")

Sarah White kuzetsa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 01:28:23 UTC 2013

On 1/25/2013 1:43 AM, David J Taylor wrote:
> From: Sarah White
> [complex instructions snipped]
> --Sarah
>
> P.S. sorry to double-post like this.
>
> Sara,
>
> It's far simpler to go into the Device Manger and disable the spurious
> device, as described here:
>
>  http://www.gpsmap.net/GarminHints.html#GPSR_ComputerMouse
>
> No need to edit boot.ini (obsolete in any case), no need to edit the
> registry.  By the way, on a test Windows-8 system the GPS wasn't
> detected as a serial mouse, so possibly Microsoft have improved the
> mouse detection code!
>
> Cheers,
> David

Beg your pardon?

1) Your comment seems to suggest a misunderstanding. I wasn't advocating
any editing of boot.ini in the first place.

...Boot.ini doesn't even exist anymore, so I wasn't suggesting that, as
it's s an outdated practice, and the official workaround is the one I
was trying to share...

2) At the bottom of the section you just linked, it says:

See also the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article  # 283063, "Serial Device
May Be Detected as a Serial Mouse in Windows 2000".

The referenced knowledge base article, 283063:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283063

Title: Serial Device May Be Detected as a Serial Mouse in Windows 2000

^That workaround is for EVEN OLDER version of windows.

--snip--

APPLIES TO
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 2
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 2

--snip--

If you "disable the offending device" in device manager, the automatic
"plug & play" can, and often DOES just re-install a second version of
this "mouse" after running windows update.

Second opinion about the approach I was recommending:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-recognized-usb-gps-as-a-serial-mouse-in/0c3f0d94-6181-4a43-9e90-bcea8a21415d

Shortened URL: http://goo.gl/xFcSc

Note the similarity of official instructions, written by:

Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.

--snip--
i.          Click on start
ii.        In the search box, type in regedit
iii.      Registry editor windows opens
iv.       Navigate to the location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sermouse
--snip--

Whatever works for you though I guess. I was just explaining the
officially supported method *shrugs*