[time-nuts] NTP server system done --> Thanks!!!

Frank Hughes hp_ciscovss at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 23:46:20 UTC 2013

Hi,
I have been reading this forum for a few months, great help in obtaining all
the components and procedures to set up my own Trimble Thunderbolt GPS receiver.
Almost done!

The goals were:
1- Provision an NTP server for the home LAN devices to use.
2- Provide a quality 10Mhz signal for the HP 5087A Distribution Amp.
3- Provide a caching DNS for the home LAN devices to use.

The Thunderbolt part was easy.
The server part was more of a challenge.
I used an INTEL ATOM board w/SSD in a 1-RU case for the server.
It should be possible to leave this powered on for years w/ minimal power and BTU costs.
Runs FreeBSD 9.0.
Not completly sure why I picked this distro, as all the other boxes on the network here are Debian or Fedora.
I compiled an NTP kernel w/ palisade driver support.
Used a "FatPPS" board to get a pulse configuration that the serial interface is happy with.

The NTP server works great!!
The only real difficulty is with the FreeBSD, it deletes the links to the PPS and PALISADE drivers
at every reboot of the system, and can only communicate w/ the router if I use DHCP.
(searching the FreeSBD forums today for "static IP address" told me that I am not the only one)

But the DNS is a minor thing, I am so happy to have the NTP server !!!!

Thanks for all the help and advice.
73
Frank
KJ4OLL