[time-nuts] Riley paper on Tight Phase Lock Loop

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Jan 31 14:34:17 UTC 2013

> As Adrian and Bob pointed out, W. J. Riley's site has all the information
> needed to make the higher cost TPLL version he did including his PCBs.

Ah, sorry, I didn't see that 2nd PDF! I see the design is significantly different than the TPLL that you made. Any idea why?

> The bigger mystery seems to be how easy a TPLL can be built without loosing
> performance.
> One version of the TPLL tester only needs 8 circuit parts plus + Power
> supplies etc,
> These are all clearly specified on the bottom block diagram, dated June 7,
> 2010 at
> http://www.ke5fx.com/tpll.htm
> And even that complete working, simple version, is good enough that the
> performance is still mostly limited by the HP10811 Reference Osc and not the
> TPLL circuit.
>
> BOM for "Extra simple TPLL"
> Nothing is critical, performance is determined by the Ref Osc.
> 1) Phase detector  =  SYPD-1
> 2) 100KHz  LPF = two each 220 ohm in series and two 0.0047uf caps to gnd
> 3) Amp = OP-27 Pin 3 is input, pin 6 is output
> 4) Amp feedback gain = + 300 set using a 30K feedback and 100 Ohm resistor
> to gnd
> 5) 20 Hz LPF =  8K ohm series R and 1uf to gnd
> 6) Ref Osc = HP10811
> 7) A slow mv DVM and/or a 16 bit ADC sampling at 100Hz or more.
> 8) misc connectors, PS, S/W, etc.
>
> The configuration of the TPLL 1.0 that John tested, uses a 3dB and 5dB pad
> for isolation, (no real need for Osc buffers),
> and has a higher closed loop PLL bandwidth using an op37 with more gain, (a
> tighter TPLL)
> This can be seen by clicking on the underlined "Here" of John's report next
> to Fig 1.7 at
> "Warren's annotated block diagram can be seen HERE."

We've see http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/tpll/TightPLL_BB.gif before and that's partly why I wrote what I wrote. It's high level and pretty far from a schematic/BOM. However, your comments 1 - 8 begin to address that. Thanks much.

You've also talked about TPLL 1.0 and 2.0, as if we should all know what they are; is there a comprehensive description of those; something detailed enough that a random time nut could build one?

Thanks,
/tvb