[time-nuts] Low noise power supplies?

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 18:51:44 UTC 2013

Oops,
 that should be HP4945(6)A not 3945

Robert.

________________________________
 From: Robert Atkinson <robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk>
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement <time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Thursday, 31 January 2013, 18:46
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Low noise power supplies?

A non-standard but repeatable way to measure power supply noise is to use a Transmission Impairment Measuring Set (TIMS) such as the HP3945(6)A or 3551
(2)A. These were intended for use in pairs to assess analog telephone lines for data use. As well as an AF generator, frequency counter, amplifier, monitor speaker and level meter they will measure broadband noise. Being designed for POTS they will also withstand at least 50V DC at the input while measuring the noise. You can also apply internal filters if required. The last digit designates a North American  (BELL) or European (CCITT) standard unit, but broadband noise is the same. They can be picked up really cheaply now (list was$3000-$5000) and make a nice compact audio test set.

Robert G8RPI.