[time-nuts] Low noise power supplies?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Jan 31 20:57:49 UTC 2013

Not sure if anyone posted this here yet, but Abracom has a very low noise
(7nV/RtHz at 1KHz) power source for VCO's etc, with various outputs. It's
sold  on DIgikey or Mouser I think.

Here is a review of that unit:

_http://jaunty-electronics.com/blog/category/reviews/_
(http://jaunty-electronics.com/blog/category/reviews/)

Co-incidentally he also has a review of one of our units on the same  page.

This is a very handy and reasonably priced power supply for many  low-noise
type of experiments.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 1/30/2013 21:36:50 Pacific Standard Time,
bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz writes:

Lester  Veenstra wrote:
> The typical test supply on a bench for clean VCO  testing is a small gel
cell
> battery.  For a regulated power  supply, make one using a 723. The 723 has
> far lower noise out than the  monolithic regulators.

Depends on the variety  of 723 some are noisier than others.
Some use an internal zener reference,  some use a bandgap reference.
The original used a zener  reference.

Bruce