[time-nuts] GPS at 60,000 feet

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 21:09:27 UTC 2013

> I know  for sure my handheld Garmin works at 27000 feet, at
> 530mph...   ...I was actually surprised it worked up there.
> It made me  wonder what the actual limits are.

What are the limits of your hand held unit or what are the limits of
GPS in general.   I think GPS works as long as you are under the orbit
of the satellites.  The company I used to work for placed GPS on some
low orbit spacecraft, so say roughly 200 miles up and 18,000 mph but
I'd guess most hand held units would not work in those conditions

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California