[time-nuts] looking for low-power system for gps ntp timekeeping

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 15:02:40 UTC 2013

For a NTP use the $40 ARM.   The Atom is going to pull maybe 10W of power
but can do a lot more.  I just did not see the use of the $90 quad core
ARM.  It is over kill for NTP

I  had my Atom running NTP, file server and inside a VMware virtual machine
Lady Heather to monitor the Thunderbolt GPS.  The Atom was headless so the
LH display screen was exported to one of the other computers when needed.

Related Topic:   It would be great to run LH on an ARM and not need to have
to keep a PC running, even if the PC is an Atom running a virtual PC.

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM, folkert <folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote:

> Yes but how much power do they use?
> These arm boardjes are < 5 watt, some even 1 watt.
>

> On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 07:43:49AM -0700, Chris Albertson wrote:
> > For a few dollars LESS you can get an Intel dual-core Atom board.  It is
> > standard PC motherboard.  These can run a file server, a web server, SSH
> > and NTP all at the same time and have about 90% idle time on the CPU.
> >  (Running those other processes does not effect NTP.)
> > Intel-BOXD2500HN-Dual-Core-Mini-ITX-Motherboard<
> http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOXD2500HN-Dual-Core-Mini-ITX-Motherboard/dp/B007BHTMX6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1372689454&sr=8-5&keywords=intel+atom
> >

> > Those tiny Arm boards are best until the price gets about about $45.
>  Above
> > that I think they are not a great value.
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:57 AM, David J Taylor <
> > david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > How do folks think that the Odroid/U2 might compare?
> > >
> > >  http://www.hardkernel.com/**renewal_2011/products/prdt_**info.php<
> http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php>
> > >
> > > More expensive than Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone black, but higher
> > > performance?

> > > and follow the instructions there.
> > >

> > --
> >
> > Chris Albertson
> > Redondo Beach, California
> > and follow the instructions there.
>

> Folkert van Heusden
>
> --
> Always wondered what the latency of your webserver is? Or how much more
> latency you get when you go through a proxy server/tor? The numbers
> tell the tale and with HTTPing you know them!
>                                      http://www.vanheusden.com/httping/

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California