[time-nuts] looking for low-power system for gps ntp timekeeping

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Jul 2 00:52:21 UTC 2013

Hi

On Jul 1, 2013, at 4:02 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> said:
>> Since all of these boards run a fairly complex OS, we'd also need kernel
>> code to support them ...
>
> Most OSes already have support for PPS capture on modem control pins so it
> shouldn't be too hard to add support for GPIO pins.  (I'm not claiming it
> would be trivial, just a lot simpler than starting from scratch.)

The reference I was making was to a "pie in the sky" 1.8 GHz clocked timer integrated into a CPU chip. That would let you come up with ~ 600 ps timing directly. Since it would be both unusual and very fast, a driver (potentially tightly linked to the kernel) would be needed. That's not a trivial thing….

Bob