[time-nuts] looking for low-power system for gps ntp timekeeping

folkert folkert at vanheusden.com
Tue Jul 2 14:04:23 UTC 2013

> >The thing that finally canned the BB for me was the short SD card life.
> >  Even though the implementation uses a virtualized root file system, it
> >still writes to the SD card about once a second.  The result is that
> >even industrial grade SD cards rarely live over a year.  With the Black
> >they tried to address the problem by putting some NAND memory on board
> >but that only prolongs the problem and with components that are not
> >easily changed.
>
> I've only ever had one SD card go dead on me on my entire fleet, and I
> suspect that was actually my fault, not Debian's :)

Recent Linux kernels (3.8) have a new filesystem called 'f2fs'.
This is a logging filesystem: it appends data instead of overwriting
(and does a flush if the fs gets full).
This should increase the lifespan.
I have a couple (6) of raspberry pi's (pies?) using this filesystem and
indeed it seems to help.

Folkert van Heusden

--
Multitail est un outil permettant la visualisation de fichiers de
journalisation et/ou le suivi de l'exécution de commandes. Filtrage,