[time-nuts] High Accuracy Averaging Was: Speaking of Costas loops

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Jul 3 14:38:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 09:58:51 -0400
Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> Since the LEA6-T will do conventional RINEX dumps, I suspect that all
> they are doing is very long averaging on the data. I doubt the LEA6-T
> is the magic part of the setup.

It's not conventional RINEX. The data is stored in a custom raw format
to save space. Afterall, the devices have only a 2GB SD Card and have to
be able to log data for at least 2 years :-)

Ie what the electronics around the LEA6-T does is to get the satelite
phase data from the appropriate LEA command, encode them and write it
all down to the SD Card.

But yes, there is nothing magic about the LEA. It got used because
u-blox is a spin-off of the same universty and working together with
them does not involve trans continental flights.

If anyone wants more info on the electronics, please contact me off list.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin