[time-nuts] Speaking of Costas loops

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Jul 5 15:33:48 UTC 2013

Hi

The sat needs to transmit at the GPS frequencies and have an uplink that works exclusively with those frequencies. (or at least that sub band). A "normal" transponder probably would not radiate at the GPS allocation, simply to be a good citizen. I believe the "specialization" is simply a frequency mod to allow WAAS to pass through. There is no mention of a space qualified Cs and / or Rb flying on those birds and no indication that the ground segment is controlling such a payload. If all that *was* present, then including them in the normal navigation solutions would be a "zero cost" next step.

Bob