[time-nuts] Speaking of Costas loops

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Jul 5 16:14:20 UTC 2013

Hi

Indeed the atomic clocks on sats are set up so they can "tune" far enough to take out the relativistic effects. That (and a bunch of other things) makes them somewhat more expensive than their ground based cousins (like by 10-100X). They also have volume / power / cooling / reliability / weight issues (in addition to cost) that drive you to only use them if you really need to. The default option is to use some form of quartz.

Bob