[time-nuts] Speaking of Costas loops (WAAS)

jmfranke jmfranke at cox.net
Sat Jul 6 15:10:52 UTC 2013

http://www.navipedia.net/index.php/WAAS_Signal_Structure

Doppler Shift: The Doppler shift, as perceived by a stationary user, on the
signal broadcast by WAAS GEOs is less than 40 meters per second (?210 Hz at
L1) in the worst case (at the end of life of the GEOs).
Carrier Frequency Stability: The short term stability of the carrier
frequency (square root of the Allan Variance) at the input of the user´s
receiver antenna will be better than 5x10-11 over 1 to 10 seconds, excluding
the effects of the ionosphere and Doppler.
Polarization: The broadcast signal is right-handed circularly polarized. The
ellipticity will be no worse than 2 dB for the angular range of ±9.1o from
boresight.
Code/Carrier Frequency Coherence: The lack of coherence between the
broadcast carrier phase and the code phase shall be limited. The short term
(<10sec) fractional frequency difference between the code phase rate and the
carrier frequency shall be less than 5x10-11 (one sigma). Over the long term
(<100 sec), the difference between the change in the broadcast code phase
(convert to carrier cycles) and the change in the broadcast carrier phase
shall be within one carrier cycle (one sigma).
Correlation Loss: Correlation loss is defined as the ratio of output powers
from a perfect correlator for two cases: 1) the actual receiver WAAS signal
correlated against a perfect unfiltered PN reference, or 2) a perfect
unfiltered PN signal normalized to the same total power as the WAAS signal
in case 1. The correlation loss resulting from modulation imperfections and
filtering inside the WAAS satellite payload is less than 1 dB.

John  WA4WDL