[time-nuts] HP 5370B dropping mains voltage

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 7 08:38:56 UTC 2013

My reply did not go to the group  due to finger trouble,

Out of phase drops (bucks) the voltage, in phase boosts it. If you want variable
boost/buck use a center tapped variac across the mains and connect the
primary (rated at half supply voltage, easy in 240V countries) of the fixed
transformer between the center tap and winding.
With a
resistive load as the voltage is reduced, the load current
reduces so you can do the sums easily. The units I've used it on are
constant power so the current increases with reducing voltage. However
it does not matter as we are not generating power. The POWER is the same
 either side of the transformer (ignoring the small transformer losses),
 only the voltage and current change. The transformer is just supplying
current, it does not matter if it bucks or boosts the voltage. With
constant load power and transformer, a buck will have have higher
current at the supply side, a boost will have lower. With a fixed
resistance load the situation reverses because the power changes with
the square of the voltage. The maximum load current is set by the
current rating of the transformer secondary. This is why you can boost
say 220V to 230V with a 100VA transformer and drive a 2300VA load
(10Ax10V =100VA, 10Ax230V=2300VA) Some companies actually market "power
savers"
 that are just a buck transformer. These things
 only work with resistive loads, or to a small extent, induction motors.

For modern equipment with switch mode power supplies they just increase
the losses.

On insulation, As others have pointed out, a quality transformer will have adequate insulation ratings. and there is less differential than normal between primary and secondary. The main issue on conventional transformers would be a short secondary to frame. Making sure the frame is grounded an input fused caters for this. I used Toroids which were tape wrapped. The metal plate they were mounted on is grounded.  At least one machine was subject to an individual UL inspection (we were a UK company selling world wide) at MIT (no, not the audiophools:-) That I attended. The UL inspector had no problem with the boost arrangement which was specifically discussed. We did have an intersting discussion on shortwave UV light exposure though. Never ground the top of the bolt holding down a toroid, It forms a shorted turn.

Robert G8RPI.