[time-nuts] Very stable synthesizer, alternative to PTS(Programmed Test Sources) x10 or 040?

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Mon Jul 8 14:55:27 UTC 2013

In 2002, this document:

THE CRYSTAL OSCILLATOR CHARACTERIZATION FACILITY AT THE AEROSPACE
CORPORATION
http://www.pttimeeting.org/archivemeetings/2002papers/paper32.pdf

stated:

"The Programmed Test Sources, Inc. PTS model #250M6NIGSX-51 low-noise
frequency synthesizer is
used to offset the frequency reference to obtain the desired beat
frequency. In our previous system, we
used a Fluke 6160B frequency synthesizer, since the Fluke 6160B
frequency synthesizer had the lowest
noise contribution of all the frequency synthesizers on the market at
that time.  The reason for having the
low-noise frequency synthesizer is the synthesizer  noise contributions
to the system noise-floor.
Unfortunately, Fluke has discontinued manufacturing and maintaining this
synthesizer. Therefore, we
looked at the new synthesizers on the market and found that the PTS
synthesizer was the closest to the
Fluke 6160B frequency synthesizer in terms of noise floor. "

Sounds like a working 6160B would be a nice thing to have.
Unfortunately, it's too large for my already overcrowded lab. :-(

Ed