[time-nuts] Question about effect of sample interval on ADEV

Hans Holzach h.holzach at vtxmail.ch
Tue Jul 9 05:03:23 UTC 2013

> FYI: I tend to record all serial (RS232/GPIB/USB/LAN) data from counters, analyzers, receivers, environmental sensors with a precision MJD prefix. This allows both tight correlation among different instruments in the lab and also allows ADEV-like tools to estimate, and then gradually refine to high levels of precision, the actual data rate, during data collection. Yes, it adds a few extra bytes, but it can be valuable information sometimes and storage is cheaper than it was a decade ago.
>
> /tvb

tom,

as a newbie i'd be happy about a few hints how you do this. i use a prologix controller to read data lines from a 53132a counter. the data is then recorded by a terminal application (CoolTerm). the terminal application can add a timestamp to each line. however, even when in time arming or external arming (1pps from gpsdo) mode, the time stamp intervals vary significantly by up to maybe 0.1s, probably because the stamp is given by the terminal application and not by the counter. furthermore, ulrich's plotter program can't read CoolTerm's timestamp format, so i have to manipulate it in excel first before ulrich's plotter can process it...

thank you,
hans