[time-nuts] How dangerous if Rb lamp broken?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Jul 9 09:40:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 11:24:27 +0200
Magnus Danielson <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:

> On 07/09/2013 06:07 AM, Hui Zhang wrote:
> > Dear Group:
> >      I have four compact Rb Stanard, but I am worried about what if my Rb lamp broken in accident someday? How dangerous of this situration? Is Rb87 came out from Rb lamp will be a disaster? You know I haven't any beta rays detect instrument.
>
> Considering that you have 48,8 milliard years in half-time, you are
> pretty safe. The problem is rather that it reacts to water and becomes a
> strong base, so you want to keep it dry and well protected. Keeping it
> in a clock chassi is good enough.

IIRC Rb is hygroscopic, ie keeping dry wont help, it will react with
the air humidity as well. But then, you have only a couple mg of Rb
in the cell. And the whole thing is enclosed. So you wont get much
exposure anyways. As for toxidity, AFAIK Rb by itself is not toxic.
Rb solution is, as Magnus said, a strong base, but you will get very little
of it and and i am not aware of any toxidity beside being a stron base.
So don't let it get into your eyes and you will be fine :-)

For comparison: Natrium hydroxide is sold in tablet form as un-clogging agent.
It is, for it being a strong base, rated with a high toxidity/danger class,
(about the same as hydrochloric acid) but is not toxic in it self.
Handling it is safe, unless you throw a lot of it into water.
In dry form, the most danger it poses is making soap out of the fat
in your skin :-)

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin