[time-nuts] The word, "Radiation" as a boogieman...

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 9 14:22:00 UTC 2013

On 7/9/13 7:01 AM, Burt I. Weiner wrote:
> John,
>
> Unfortunately, there's a lot of money in fear.  Being in broadcast
> engineering I learned as long time ago to never use the words,
> "radiation" or "radiate" a signal when referring to a station's signal.
> Instead, I refer to it as, "Launch" or "Launched" a signal.  When asked
> about a radio station's radiation I remind them about the expression,
> "radiate a smile".  It simply means, " to send out".  If you really want
> to frighten people, use the expression, "To radiate SPAM!"

Indeed..

It's so pervasive that when you go out to get approval for human
experimentation, there's a different process if any radiation is
involved: ionizing OR non-ionizing (e.g. RF/microwaves).  I asked why,
because I was looking at radiating a milliwatt at a few GHz.

It's because of the informed consent aspect. You need to have a simple
explanation of what you're doing and that will inevitably have that
"word" in it, along with a reference to the IEEE/ANSI standard.
(although I've been careful to use the word "exposure" and "field",
rather than "radiation")