[time-nuts] Speaking of Costas loops (WAAS)

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jul 11 13:25:06 UTC 2013

Hi Bob,

On 07/11/2013 12:32 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> If there are no receivers using the service (WAAS as a full GPS sat), it's either because:
>
> 1) Nobody knows about it
> 2) It does not work
>
> Either way why spend the money to keep it running much better than needed for WAAS simply for it to be there unused?

There are receivers that produce pseudo-ranges for it [1], and hence can
use it in nav solutions. I just found a list of such receivers. The
typical receivers does not discloses exactly how they use the
WAAS/EGNOS/SBAS signal beyond the obvious correction data.

There is also published works on using the WAAS and EGNOS carrier phase
reception [2]. There is more if you dig around.

[1] Egnos User Guide.
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/satnav/egnos/files/brochures-leaflets/egnos-user-guide_en.pdf

[2] US 6469663. http://www.google.com/patents/US6469663

Cheers,